Thursday, May 17, 2007

Jesus, Friday Nights and the Dukes of Hazzard

I was reading online the other day that an anonymous bidder on EBay pledged almost $10 million US for a version of the General Lee (1969 orange Dodge Charger) from the tv show 'The Dukes of Hazzard'. The car is owned by the actor who played Bo Duke and has signatures from members of the cast. $10 million!!!

It made me remember all those friday nights when I was a kid - we'd get together as a family (my three siblings, my parents and I) make some popcorn and watch the "good 'ol boys" get themselves into and out of trouble with Boss Hogg. And then of course there was Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane and Daisy Duke . . . ah, those were the days.

I was driving yesterday thinking about this, and reminiscing about the days of my youth that often seem so much less complicated and clouded than the challenges and complexities of 'grown up' life. "Ah, if only I could have those days back sometimes", I thought, "but you can't go back". But then I wondered if there's a reason we so often long to have those days back. Have we left something behind that we weren't supposed to leave behind - spontaneous joy, trust, peace, wonder, adventure . . .

An individual named G.K. Chesterton once said, "I think God is the only child left in the universe, and all the rest of us have grown old and cynical because of sin."

Jesus himself said, "Unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 18:3)

There's something that's still strong in the heart of a child that resonates deep within me. And I've got to keep rediscovering it in new ways if I'm going to continue to discover the heart of God.

And so if the person who bid on the General Lee is reading this blog . . . drop me a line, I wouldn't mind going for a ride sometime!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

In preparation for your ride in the General Lee I think you should practice getting in and out of your car through the window.

Chesterton's words reminded me of a song by Rich Mullins called 'Growing Young'

Well we are children no more, we have sinned and grown old
And our Father still waits and He watches down the road
To see the crying boys come running back to His arms
And be growing young

Anonymous said...

you were driving? really? are you sure you weren't actually walking somewhere wishing you didn't have such a stigmatism against driving??