Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Jesus, Tim McGraw and 'being' the Church

The other night Wendy and I headed into Vancouver for the Tim McGraw/Faith Hill 'Soul 2 Soul' concert . . . it was sweeeeeet! As much as I enjoyed sitting there and listening to their music though, the best moments of the evening by far were when they got the crowd into it - when they got us on our feet, engaged us in the show, got us hooting and hollering, and allowed me to get my groove on! (I use the word 'groove' loosely.)

There's something inside everyone of us that wants to participate in the show, not just watch it unfold before us. Even for those of us who so often resign ourselves to our timidity, deep down our soul craves to stand up, step forward and engage; we weren't made to be passive spectators. And even as I type these words, I realize how badly we've often faltered with this in the church. We've allowed ourselves to believe that church is a Sunday morning event that we attend as spectators, observing and sometimes judging the performance of those on stage. But our soul craves for something more (which is why we often get so bored with church). See we're not meant to be a people who just believe something (and learn more about it), we're meant to be a people who radically engage the experience of God. We're meant to be the church, not go to church. We're meant to participate in God's moving in history, not to simply watch it unfold. We've got to come alive and engage the experience.

If Tim or Faith happens to read my blog . . . thanks for reminding me to keep getting my groove on! It's at the heart of our journey here at LEFC.

ps. I think Tim and Faith are probably glad though that I didn't rush the stage like I did two years ago at the Wiggles concert with my toddler!

No comments: